By Douglas J. Manning, Partner, Certified Specialist in Family Law

A recent Ontario Court of Appeal decision has re-affirmed the principle that if a support payor’s income increases and they fail to reveal this information to the support recipient then they are in jeopardy of having their support obligation increased retroactively so as to result

Often in Family Law proceedings clients feel bogged down by requests to produce documents.  Clients have at times expressed to me a dissatisfaction with having to produce bank statements for past years, attachments from income tax returns,  documents that  are not easily obtainable or papers that may have existed in the past but may take

Let me introduce myself as the newest Barriston blogger.  I joined the firm, as a partner last month.  Prior to this I practiced, mostly as a sole practioner, for the past sixteen years.  I have practiced law for twenty five years, mostly in the family law area.  I practice in the courts, but prefer mediation

Part 4 of the Succession Law Reform Act (“SLRA”) answers this question in the affirmative.

The SLRA provides that, in the event that a person dies, with or without a will, in circumstances where the deceased has not made adequate provision for the support of a dependent, the dependent may initiate a proceeding against the

On a regular basis I have clients come to me with a rough agreement in hand asking me to draft a Separation Agreement for them. These are the client’s who tell me they are “amicably” separating; they “just want out”, and/or they don’t want to spend a lot of money on legal fees.  Quite often

A recent article in the Toronto Star, ‘The Political Becomes Personal’ – Tanya Talaga, Saturday March 12th, brought home to me the additional stress that single parent/working women face in our ‘liberated’ society.

NDP leader Andrea Horwath had recently ended her 25 year common-law relationship.  While the article did not deal with any of the

The Family Responsibility Office (FRO) is responsible for enforcing support payments in Ontario.  Once an Order is made in Court for child support or spousal support, it is filed with FRO for enforcement unless both parties sign a Notice of Withdrawal indicating that they do not wish to have the Order enforced by FRO.